ACUNS is governed by its Council, which is made up of representatives from each member institution of the Association. ACUNS works hard to keep our members connected by providing ongoing information in the form of a weekly northern media watch, a quarterly on-line newsletter and regular updates on our awards program, the Canadian Northern Studies Trust. In turn, we rely on our representatives to share this information with their fellow faculty members and their northern studies students.
The active support from and engagement with our member institutions help fulfill the ACUNS vision to engage Canadians in the dialogue on research in Canada’s north. Your institution’s membership in the Association supports the next generation of northern researchers and celebrates the commitment and contributions of their mentors and professors. Your active engagement as a representative of your institution means more applicants to the CNST awards, which means more students being supported to do responsible northern research.
Your support as an individual researcher and as a representative of your member institution allows us to:
- maintain and finance a sophisticated database system that allows award application, adjudication and management as a paperless process;
- spread the word to as many eligible young scholars as possible;
- recruit dedicated adjudicators who will provide their time and attention to carefully reviewing applications;
- facilitate award adjudication through a series of meetings and ensuring a robust process at every step;
- ensure that successful candidates are notified in a timely manner;
- track recipient deliverables and contract compliance while ensuring timely payment or award installments;
- liaise with sponsors of respective awards to maintain relationships and ongoing support; and
- explore ways of expanding the funding envelope to better support the Social Sciences, Humanities and Health Research field.
If you are interested in having your institution become a member, contact ACUNS directly for a membership package and more information.