ACUNS is governed by its Council, which is made up of representatives from each member institution (colleges and universities) of the Association. ACUNS works hard to keep our members connected by providing ongoing information in the form of a weekly northern media watch, a quarterly on-line newsletter and regular updates on our awards program. In turn, we rely on our representatives to share this information with their fellow faculty members and their northern studies students.
The active support from and engagement with our member institutions help fulfill the ACUNS vision to engage Canadians in the dialogue on research in Canada’s north. Your institution’s membership in the Association supports the next generation of northern researchers and celebrates the commitment and contributions of their mentors and professors.
Your support as an individual researcher and as a representative of your member institution allows us to:
- maintain a sophisticated database system that allows award application, adjudication and management as a paperless process;
- spread the word to as many eligible young scholars as possible;
- recruit dedicated adjudicators who will provide their time and attention to carefully reviewing applications;
- facilitate award adjudication through a series of meetings and ensuring a robust process at every step;
- ensure that successful candidates are notified in a timely manner;
- track recipient deliverables and contract compliance while ensuring timely payment or award installments;
- liaise with sponsors of respective awards to maintain relationships and ongoing support; and
- explore ways of expanding the funding envelope to better support the Social Sciences, Humanities and Health Research field.
Here’s how you benefit as a Council member:
- Be part of the ACUNS network. With our +40-year history, we have lots of knowledge to share and an impressive stakeholder list! We’re here to facilitate your work and promote opportunities for students.
- You have a vote. Have your say at the ACUNS Annual General Meeting in late autumn.
- Join one of our committees to help direct the Association toward its goals.
- Receive our weekly northern media watch, a quarterly online newsletter and regular updates on our awards program. Share this information with your colleagues and northern studies students.
- Host the next ACUNS Student Conference on Northern Studies. The triennial event, to be held in late October/early November 2021, is largely organized by a committee of students and hosted by one of our member universities/colleges. This is an opportunity to promote the work of your university and students.
If you are interested in having your institution become a member, contact ACUNS directly for a membership package and more information.
Current Members (as of July 2021)